JASON C. KUHLMAN, Esq.
Licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio in 2001 and in the Commonwealth of Kentucky in 2002, Jason C. Kuhlman began his career in the litigation department of a well-known northern Kentucky law firm. He has also practiced with a boutique white collar federal criminal defense and civil litigation firm before starting his own practice in 2017. While primarily practicing before state and federal courts in the greater Cincinnati, Ohio area, including Covington (Kenton County), Newport (Campbell County), and Burlington (Boone County), Kentucky, Jason has also been admitted to practice in cases before the United States District Courts for the Northern District of California, the District of Minnesota, and the District of Utah, as well as the state courts in Utah and New York.
Jason earned his B.A., summa cum laude, from the University of Kentucky in 1998. During his undergraduate years, he was elected to office in several student organizations, including being elected President of the Student Development Council.
Jason earned his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from the University of Kentucky College of Law in 2001. While in law school, he was elected Secretary of the Student Bar Association, and was a Staff Member of the University of Kentucky Journal of Natural Resources and Environmental Law, before being named Notes Editor of the Journal in his third year. In addition, Jason’s case comment, Pneumo Abex Corp. v. High Point, Thomasville, & Denton Railroad, and CERCLA “Arranger Liability,” was published in Volume 16, Issue No. 1 of the Journal, and in 2008, was cited as authority in an amicus curie brief filed with the United States Supreme Court by the International Association of Defense Counsel in the case of Shell Oil Company v. United States, Case No. 07-1607.
During his professional career, Jason has been a member of numerous bar associations at the national, state, and local level. He is a member of Defense Research Institute (“DRI”) and a member and former Director of Kentucky Defense Counsel. With Kentucky Defense Counsel, Jason and led the effort along members from across the Commonwealth to create the organization’s first print magazine, Common Defense. His article, “Some Rules are Meant to be Followed: Using CR 42.02, CR 6.02 and CR 10.03 to your Advantage in Civil Litigation,“ was published in the Winter/Spring 2017 issue of Common Defense.
Jason has devoted significant time giving back to his community, including with LEGACY, the Northern Kentucky young professionals organization, the “Paint the Town” initiative of Give Back Cincinnati, Leadership Northern Kentucky (Class of 2010), and Northern Kentucky Youth Athletics.
• University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2001
• University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude, 1998, Integrated Strategic Communications
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
• Ohio (2001)
• Kentucky (2002)
• U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit (2006)
• U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky (2002)
• U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio (2007)
• U.S. District Court, Northern District of California (pro hac vice 2010)
• U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota (pro hac vice, 2010)
• U.S. District Court, District of Utah (pro hac vice, 2010)
• Utah (pro hac vice, 2012)
• New York (pro hac vice, 2017)
• Defense Research Institute
• Kentucky Defense Counsel, Inc.
(Board of Directors, 2010-2014)
• American Bar Association
• Kentucky Bar Association
• Ohio State Bar Association
• Northern Kentucky Bar Association
• Cincinnati Bar Association
• MidAmerican Distrib. v. Clarification Tech., Inc., 807 F. Supp. 2d 646 (E.D. Ky. 2011), aff’d 485 Fed. Appx. 779 (6th Cir. 2012)
• Davis v. City of Winchester, Ky., 206 S.W.3d 917 (2006)
• Larkins v. Akin & Miller Land Developers, Ky. App., 239 S.W.3d 112 (2007)
• Columbia Cas. Co. v. SMI Liquidating, Inc., 909 F. Supp. 2nd 1303 (D. Utah Nov. 13, 2012)
• Colony Nat'l Ins. Co. v. Sorenson Med., Inc., 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 147262 (E.D. Ky. Dec. 21, 2011)
• Claypool v. Brock, 2011 Ky. App. Unpub. LEXIS 617 (Ky. App. Aug. 26, 2011)
• Columbia Cas. Co. v. SMI Liquidating, 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 88822 (N.D. Cal. July 31, 2010)
• Smith v. Housing Authority of Middlesborough, 2005 Ky. App. Unpub. LEXIS 554 (Ky.App. Dec. 29, 2005)
• Plummer v. Lake, 2014 Ky. App. Unpub. LEXIS 290 (Ky. App. April 18, 2014)
• Colony Nat'l Dis. Co. v. Sorenson Med., Inc., 2013 U.S Dist. LEXIS 104172 (E.D. Ky. July 25, 2013)
• Leadership Northern Kentucky, Class of 2010
• Give Back Cincinnati, Paint the Town (2006-2015)
• LEGACY (2005-2010)
• Northern Kentucky Youth Athletics (2017 – present)